This educational video on Buffalo DWI penalties was provided by Drew Fritsch, an experienced Buffalo DWI Attorney. If you've been arrested for DWI, contact our office for a free confidential consultation. Let our experience work for you.
- When someone charged with DWI asks whether they need an attorney, they should be made aware of the potentially severe consequences.
- Financial outcome can include a fine of $500 to $1,000 plus surcharges.
- The driver's license will be revoked for six months to one year.
- An ignition interlock device will be installed in the offender's vehicle.
- The court may impose probation for up to three years, and up to one year in jail.
Criminal penalties can include:
- Fines: Between $300 and $5,000
- Jail time: Between 15 days and 4 years
- License suspension: Between 90 days and 18 months
- You will have an ignition interlock device installed in your car, requiring a breath sample before you can operate it.
Penalties for a first-offense DWAI include:
- A fine of between $300 and $500, up to 15 days in jail, or both;
- Suspension of your driver's license for 90 days (unless you are under 21 or possess a Commercial Driver's License (“CDL”));
- A surcharge of $255 ($260 if the case is in either a Town or a Village Court);
- A driver responsibility assessment of $250 a year for 3 years; and
- A requirement that you attend a Victim Impact Panel.
Did you or a loved one get arrested for a DWI and wonder what type of penalties you might incur? Don't plead guilty until you know all of your options.
Contact our experienced DWI Attorney in Buffalo NY, Drew Fritsch to defend your driving record and protect your future. We offer free consultations and have achieved positive outcomes for countless clients.