This educational video was provided by Drew Fritsch, a dedicated Buffalo Drug Crime Attorney. If you or a loved one is suffering from addiction and in need of an experienced Buffalo heroin possession lawyer, contact us today for a free consultation. Let our experience work for you.
- Heroin use is an epidemic, and an individual arrested for possession should enter into treatment or undergo evaluation to determine their need for treatment.
- First, it's essential to begin getting one's life back on track.
- Second, the courts are favorably influenced when an individual voluntarily enters into treatment.
- When courts see someone taking proper steps, they are more likely to impose lesser sentences or dismiss a charge altogether.
Dealing With Police:
- Use a calm, respectful tone. Do not yell, threaten, or be sarcastic.
- Respond to questions promptly and comply with the officer's directions.
- Do not “resist” arrest: do not run, struggle, or try to prevent officers from putting you in handcuffs or placing you in a vehicle.
Remember that the arresting officer will testify at your trial. The officer will mention your comportment – good or bad. Testimony to your disrespectful behavior will make a judge less likely to reduce or drop charges, and could make that judge harsher in sentencing; testimony to your good behavior could contribute to lighter sentencing or reduced charges.
All that said, remember that you do not have to answer any questions. Instead of acting disrespectfully, some people are too forthcoming when under arrest, and end up saying things that incriminate themselves. It will be wise for you to inform an officer respectfully that you do not wish to answer questions, invoking your right to communicate with your lawyer.
Did you or a loved one get arrested and charged with heroin possession? Don't plead guilty until you know all of your options.
Contact our experienced Buffalo heroin possession lawyer for dedicated representation. Drew Fritsch is dedicated to defending your freedom and protecting your future. We offer free consultations and have achieved positive outcomes for countless clients.
If you are being investigated for a crime, contact our law office immediately. Time is of the Essence. Do not talk to anyone about your case except for your lawyer.